Medical Services Plan (MSP) Coverage for Eye Examinations
MSP provides coverage for optometric services as a benefit for the following general population:
- Children aged 0 to 18 years: One full eye examination annually.
- Seniors aged 65 and above: One full eye examination annually.
- Adults aged 19-64: Eye exams not covered by MSP unless medically required.
In general, medically required services include:
- ocular disease, trauma or injury
- systemic diseases associated with significant ocular risk (e.g. diabetes)
- medications associated with significant ocular risk
Discuss your coverage details with your Doctor of Optometry who will be able to evaluate and comment on your specific needs and coverage levels.
Optometric Services NOT Covered by MSP
- Recommended treatments such as eyeglasses, contact lenses, low vision aids, eye co-ordination exercises, eye medications
- Contact lens fitting
- Eye examinations that are required by potential employers or other third parties
- Laser refractive surgery management (pre- and post-operative visits)
Coverage Amounts and Payment for Optometric Services
MSP currently covers $46.38 for a full eye exam and $29.48 for a minor or follow-up examination.
For more information on the current benefits provided for optometric services by MSP and the Optometry Payment Schedule, please refer to the Ministry of Health.
Doctors of Optometry are eligible to opt out of the Medical Services Plan and to set their own fees for services. Patients are encouraged to review the costs for services with their Doctor of Optometry in advance of their appointment.
Staff should inform you of the fees charged and if the Doctor of Optometry is opted-out of MSP when you book your appointment.
The BC Healthy Kids Program helps middle- and low-income families with the costs of basic dental care and prescription eyewear for their children. Eligible clients include dependent children under 19 years of age who receive MSP premium assistance through the Ministry of Health Services.
MSP Contact Information
If you are a resident of British Columbia, you must have a health card to show that you are entitled to health care services paid for by MSP.
For more information on MSP and coverage, please contact:
Medical Services Plan
PO Box 9035 Stn Prov Govt Victoria, B.C. V8W 9E3
Outside of Vancouver: 1-800-663-7100 (toll-free)
Customer Service hours: 8:00am – 4:30pm, Monday to Friday
Automated service: 24 hours a day, seven days a week (limited information about your MSP account and general information about MSP benefits and services).
Email: (for general inquiries only): firstname.lastname@example.org
To ensure the security of your personal information, please do not email inquiries about your account or that contain any personal information such as your Personal Health Number, MSP Account Number, address etc., as a response will not be sent.